Monday, June 23, 2008

Miles shares a little insight into that Herbstreit morning

Posted by Jim Carty The Ann Arbor News June 20, 2008 15:51PM

LSU coach Les Miles hasn't offered much - if any - off-season commentary on the erroneous report by ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit on the morning of the SEC title game that Miles had been offered and accepted the Michigan job.


Can't really be too surprised about that, of course, given the power of the World Wide Leader.
Speaking at an alumni event in Louisiana today, though, the former Michigan guard shared the first real insight, albeit a small one, into his morning that day:


"At first, I didn't know what was happening," he said. "My Blackberry started buzzing, and I was getting messages from Louisiana that said, 'Sorry you're leaving', and some from Michigan saying, 'Glad you're coming.' I even got some from Louisiana saying, 'Glad you're leaving, but we'll miss you.' I don't like speaking to the media right before a game, but I had to do it. My team knew the truth, but I didn't want the team bothered by anything or nobody outside the team. I didn't like people trying to undermine my team before their biggest game of the year."
Miles appears to be feeling a little cocky, reportedly saying he couldn't foresee LSU not winning the SEC West.


Ultimately, all's well that ends well, of course. The vast majority of folks at Michigan and LSU appear more than happy with the way things worked out.


Now if that pesky lawsuit would just go away ...

No comments: